Last updated on
Brown Butter S’mores Cookies – the most delicious soft and chewy s’mores cookies with a brown butter base.
Brown Butter S’mores Cookies
Are you ready for the most delicious s’mores cookies?! With summer coming to an end, this is the perfect cookie recipe to celebrate with.
During our recent trip to the beach, we snagged a bag of the Target s’mores trail mix and fell in love instantly. With little pieces of chocolate covered marshmallows, graham crackers, peanuts and chocolate chips, it’s the perfect combination of salty and sweet, and transports you to the campfire! While my sister and I were devouring the trail mix, we almost simultaneously said, “this would be so good in a cookie!”.
I instantly thought about using my Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe as the base, but felt like it needed a little twist to make the flavors stand out even more. Kenzie and I both agreed a brown butter base would be perfect. It adds a little campfire flavor!
How to Make Brown Butter
To make brown butter, just cook the butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Let it come to a boil and then watch for it to turn brown. You’ll see little brown specks too. That’s it! That’s when you know it’s done cooking. Once you’ve browned the butter, refrigerate it until it sets again. Remember, cold butter is best in cookies! It helps give the cookies a great shape.
Best Cookie Scoops
I love a big cookie, so you’ll see most of mine are made with a 2 oz. cookie scoop. My favorite cookie scoops are THESE cookie scoops from Orson Gygi. Look for the 2 oz. size.
Because this creates a fairly big cookie, the bake time is about 11 to 12 minutes. If you go for a smaller cookie, reduce the bake time by a few minutes. You’ll know the cookie is done when the edges are golden brown.
Other Cookies You’ll Love
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Copycat Levain Bakery Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
Brown Butter S’mores Cookies
Soft and chewy brown butter s'mores cookies.
- 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 g) brown sugar packed
- 3 large or extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon (4.2 g) vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups (420 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt
- 2 cups Target S'mores Trail Mix
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, cook the butter over medium heat until slightly brown in color. You'll see brown specks in the liquid too. This is when the butter is done. Chill and allow to set before using.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the chilled brown butter until smooth. Add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs one at time and mix until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla and mix for about 30 seconds.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined.
- Stir in the s'mores trail mix.
- Scoop 2-inch balls of dough onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. The cookies are done when the edges are slightly golden brown. The top may look a little soft. That’s ok! The cookies will continue to bake a little while they cool.