The Perfect Pound Cake
Delicious, moist pound cake with a hint of sour cream and citrus.
Keyword: Beginner, Easy Cake Recipe, Pound Cake, Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 3/4 cup (169.5 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste, or extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, or zest of another citrus (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (120 g) sour cream, room temperature
- Decorating sugar, optional
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Spray your bread pan with nonstick spray and then cover the sides and bottom of the pan with the decorating (coarse) sugar. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the eggs, vanilla, and zest and beat for another 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high. You're looking for the mixture to become smooth, fluffy, and lighter in color.
With the mixer on low speed, stir in the salt and flour.
Fold in the sour cream.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.