The most delicious brownies! Slightly crispy edge with a chewy center and a rich chocolate flavor, these brownies from scratch are going to be your new favorite!
The Best Brownie
Truth be told, my favorite brownie has always been the Ghirardelli dark chocolate box mix. I’m not even ashamed to admit it. They are the perfect balance of rich, dark chocolate flavor, with a chewy but not overly fudgy center.
I love them so much that I decided to search for a homemade version that would compare… but the search left me empty handed. I tried dozens of brownie recipes and none of them were quite right.
So, I recently decided to work on my own recipe to create a homemade brownie recipe that gave me the flavor and texture I was looking for. And while these aren’t the perfect replica of the box mix, I’m super happy with how they turned out.
The Best Chewy Brownies from Scratch
This homemade chewy brownies recipe has a rich chocolate flavor thanks to the combination of melted chocolate and cocoa powder, as well as semi-sweet chocolate chips. They get their chewy texture from the brown sugar (no granulated sugar)
Ingredients for Brownies from Scratch
- Unsalted butter
- Bittersweet chocolate chips – I like THIS brand, but any good-quality bittersweet chocolate will work
- Light brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Dark cocoa powder – I like THIS brand
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
NOTE: good quality chocolate enhances the flavor and texture of the brownies
How to Make Brownies from Scratch
- Melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate over the stove You can also do this in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until smooth.
- With the same bowl, stir in the brown sugar, followed by the eggs and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
- Top with Maldon salt, optional
Chewy Brownies from Scratch
Delicious chewy brownies with bittersweet and semi-sweet chocolate.
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (88.5 g) good quality dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt
- 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (180 g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups (440 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons (8.4 g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (180 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan, melt the butter and the bittersweet chocolate chips until smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar to the butter and stir until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring well between each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until no streaks of flour remain.
- Fold in ¾ cup of the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining semi-sweet chocolate chips on top.
- Bake the brownies for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the brownies to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes before serving.