Last updated on
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats – putting a little cake-inspired twist on the classic treat!
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
It’s a treat I grew up making almost weekly with my family, and one I love to whip up on a whim with my kids. Having marshmallows and Rice Krispie cereal in my pantry is just as common as me having ingredients to make my Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies or my Classic Yellow Cake on hand. Basically, you’ll never come to my house and not have dessert. I may not have things to whip up dinner for you… but you’ll always get dessert!
While I love the classic combination of marshmallows and Rice Krispies, I also love to put some twists on the treat every now and then. One of my favorite spins on Rice Krispie Treats is adding white cake mix, clear vanilla extract and sprinkles to make Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats.
Add just a couple tablespoons of the cake mix, a teaspoon or so of the clear vanilla extract and a handful of sprinkles really brings the cake flavor to life! I can’t wait for you to give them a try!
Other Rice Krispie Treat Flavors to Try
- Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats: before mixing the butter and marshmallows, cook your butter on the stove for about 5 minutes. You’re looking to create a brown-ish color in your butter. You know it’s cooked when it starts to crackle and you see brown specks. Add the browned butter to your melted marshmallows and stir well. Then just add your Rice Krispies, a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and you’re all set.
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats: combine 2 tablespoons butter, ½ cup peanut butter and a 16 ounce bag of marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 1 to 2 minutes and stir until you’ve created a smooth consistency. Add the Rice Krispies, one teaspoon of vanilla, and pour into your pan to set. You could also add peanut butter baking chips, but wait for the marshmallows to cool a bit so the chips don’t completely melt.
- Biscoff Rice Krispie Treats: follow the directions for peanut butter rice krispie treats above, but use Biscoff spread or Cookie Butter in place of the peanut butter.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Rice Krispie Treats: follow the directions for the peanut butter rice krispie treats, but use only 6.5 cups of Rice Krispie cereal and add ½ to 1 cup crushed freeze-dried strawberries.
Similar Cake Recipes You’ll Love
Birthday Cake Rice Krispie Treats
Putting a little cake-inspired twist on the classic treat with white cake mix, clear vanilla extract and sprinkles.
Prep Time 15 mins
- 1 bag marshmallows 16 ounces
- 7-7.5 cups (280-300) Rice Krispie cereal
- 2 tbsp (28.25 g) unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp (28.75 g)white cake mix
- 2 tsp (13 g) clear vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp (35 g) rainbow sprinkles
- Spray a 8x8" or 9x9" pan with non-stick spray (you can also use a 9x13" pan but the Rice Krispie Treats won't be as thick). Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the butter and the marshmallows. Microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes, until the marshmallows are big and fluffy.
- Stir the marshmallows and butter until smooth. Add the cake mix and extract and stir until well blended.
- Gradually add the Rice Krispies and coat well with the marshmallow mixture. Add the sprinkles and stir to mix.
- Pour the Rice Krispie treats into your prepared pan. Wet your hands slightly with water and then pat down the Rice Krispie Treats. Let sit, uncovered, at room temperature for about an hour before serving.