Last updated on
Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Loaf – a healthier, breakfast-approved version of my Churro Cake.
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day! I love all types of breakfast foods, including breakfast cakes. (Too obvious? Haha!) But seriously, when I can have cake for breakfast, I know it’s going to be a good day!
Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Loaf
Today, I shared my new Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Loaf on The Today Show. The idea of the cake was actually theirs! The producer asked if I could turn one of my cakes into a healthier breakfast option and you better believe I was excited for that challenge.
I had just made a delicious cinnamon loaf with espresso buttercream from The New Way to Cake by Benjamina Ebuehi and had the thought that my Churro Cake could be a great breakfast cake too.
Healthier Ingredient Alternatives
If you’ve made my Churro Cake before (or any cake really), you know that they’re full of sugar, flour and butter. All the good stuff life has to offer 😉
Well, for my breakfast loaf, I wanted to create something that felt more like breakfast food. Getting rid of the buttercream and the cinnamon ganache from the cake recipe was an obvious first step. From there, I made a few changes to the ingredients, but really kept the bones of my Churro Cake recipe the same.
- In place of the all-purpose flour, I used Kamut flour. Kamut flour is an ancient grain that hasn’t been genetically modified and is easier on the digestive system. You can read more about the benefits of Kamut flour HERE. I buy the Food Nanny Kamut Flour (Liz and Lizi are the ones who introduced it to me).
- In place of some of the granulated sugar, I used coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is not as refined as white sugar, it’s easier on the gut, and actually has nutrients in it. I only subbed part of the sugar with coconut sugar, but you could do a full one-for-one sub. You’ll notice it makes the batter much darker but still gives it a great flavor.
- In place of the buttermilk, I used plain Greek yogurt. This gives the loaf a little extra protein while helping to create moisture.
Just a few small changes and this Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Loaf is totally breakfast-ready! We didn’t compromise at all on flavor, either.
Similar Recipes You’ll Love
Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Loaf
A tender and flavorful cinnamon sugar loaf bread.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 40 mins
- 1/2 cup cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups Kamut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt preferably full fat
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray, line the bottom and sides with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, coconut sugar and granulated sugar for about 2-3 minutes on medium-high. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again for another 2 minutes.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the vanilla and eggs, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl between each addition.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and the Greek yogurt, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour half of the batter into your loaf pan. Sprinkle ¾ of the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture over the batter. Gently spread the remaining batter over the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar-cinnamon.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.
- Let cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before inverting to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.