Coconut Lemon Raspberry Cake – creamy coconut cake layers with lemon curd, raspberry cream filling and coconut buttercream.
Coconut Lemon Raspberry Cake
Are you officially ready for summer? With school out in just a couple weeks, summer is the only thing on our mind over here! I love the pool days, the BBQs and all the summer-inspired cake flavors. Another one to add to your summer must-make list: my new Coconut Lemon Raspberry Cake. This one is made up of tender and fluffy coconut cake layers, a tart lemon curd, a sweet raspberry filling and a silky, smooth coconut buttercream. These flavors together are truly magical!
The coconut cake layers aren’t new to the blog, but are definitely worth keeping in your cake arsenal. They are so tender and moist, and pair so well with so many different flavors.
More Coconut Cakes
It’s important to note that these cake layers only rise to about one to one and a quarter inches tall. If you want really thick cake layers, you have a few options:
- 1.5x the cake batter
- Use two 8-inch cake pans, instead of three
- Use three 6-inch cake pans
I love making homemade lemon curd! The flavor is 100x better than store bought and the homemade version is so simple. Plan on making the curd a day or two before you assemble your cake so it has time to set in the refrigerator.
This whipped raspberry filling only has three ingredients and is super easy to make. It’s best done in the food processor, but can also be made in a blender. You want the high speed to help whip the cream.
I love this coconut buttercream so much! It’s incredibly creamy and smooth, and the flavor is just out of this world. Make sure to refer to the ingredient list below to get the link for the specific cream of coconut to use in the buttercream.
Ingredients You Need for This Cake
- Canned coconut milk – I like Thai Kitchen brand – just be sure to mix the cream and liquid first, then measure
- Cream of coconut – this is different from the canned coconut we use in the cake. Look for the Coco Real brand.
- Cake flour
- Coconut emulsion or extract
- Granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Freeze dried raspberries – I usually find these at Target, Walmart, Trader Joe’s or Amazon
- Heavy whipping cream (fat % above 35) – my favorite brand is Darigold 40% from Costco
- Baking powder
How to Pipe Buttercream
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BUTTERCREAM
To get a light and fluffy, silky smooth buttercream, make sure you follow my tips: HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BUTTERCREAM
- Sift your powdered sugar
- Use slightly cold butter
- Use heavy whipping cream
- Beat for 5 minutes
- Stir by hand
You’ll want to check out the post linked above for more details on each step.
CAKE MAKING TIPS
Don’t forget to follow my go-to tips for getting your cakes to rise and bake well:
- Preheat your oven for 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Use good quality pans like Fat Daddio.
- Spray your pans with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Don’t overmix your cake batter once you add the dry ingredients.
- Use room temperature wet ingredients.
- Use fresh baking powder.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs on it
How to Assemble a Cake
I’ve included assembly instructions for how to assemble this cake below, but be sure to watch this quick video for extra help.